The dark underbelly of America contains numerous warts, boils, and cancerous tumors, inflicted by that loathsome grimoire of madness that the elected leaders of our nation have become.


Well, I'm FedUp and I'm not taking it any more
!

Thursday, December 25, 2008

A Christmas Epiphany

On this Christmas morn, I sit at the desk in my quite room, listening to the rhythmic snores of my loved one, I had a moment to reflect on the ghosts that visited Scrooge in the classic story, and I got to thinking about my past, my present and my things to come.

That's when I came to some stark realizations.

I always thought of myself as being white …… until I heard someone spit the words black, brown, yellow, red. And my anger reminded me that I am just one of many colors deserving of respect.

I once thought of myself as a Christian …… until I heard someone hurl an epithet at a Muslim, a Jew, a Buddhist, an atheist. And my outrage reminded me that my beliefs are meaningless if I do not endeavor to understand and defend the beliefs of others.

I once thought of myself as “straight” …… until I heard someone say that gays and lesbians are immoral outcasts. And my fury reminded me that if I deny the beauty of love’s diversity, I do not deserve to be loved.

I once thought of myself as an American …… until I heard someone say that I should stand behind my country, right or wrong. And my rage reminded me that if my country is wrong and I fail to try and make it right, I am avoiding my patriotic duty in my duty as a citizen of my nation, and of the world.

I once thought of myself as enlightened …… until I heard someone disparage the ignorant and uneducated. And my vitriol reminded me that if I don’t have the patience to understand the viewpoint of others, I have no right to voice my opinion and expect it to be heard, no less given weight.

I once thought of myself as free …… until I heard someone speak of the profits to be derived from enslavement. And my ire reminded me that as long as a single living soul lives in chains, my own freedom is tenuous at best.

I once thought of myself as somehow above it all …… until I heard someone speak of a fellow human being as beneath contempt. Because of where they were born, how much money they had, who their people were, who they loved, what they cared about, what dreams they dreamt, what hopes they held dear.

And my wrath reminded me that there is no one above me nor beneath me, there is only equality among us all.

Rage, anger, vitriol, ire, outrage, resentment, indignation, these are feelings that have their place, and can be used to change the course of human history for the better when applied wisely and well.

Listen for the sound of your prey.

Choose your target, and loose your arrows

Allow your eye to be focused and your aim will be true.

Do not be distracted by self-serving words, spoken with feigned eloquence by those who would try to change what you believe, and distort what you know in your heart to be the truth.The enemy is out there.

Don’t waste your time and efforts, nor your precious ammunition bringing down those who are your allies and friends.

Aim your anger at the real target.

The warmonger.

The torturer.

The bigot.

The hypocrite.

The greedy bureaucrat.

The corrupt politician.

Let your rage set him in your sights, let your outrage give him no refuge and let your strength of purpose afford him no means of escape.

As a new year unfolds, the whole world is listening.

I once thought of myself as someone that couldn’t be heard.

There really IS a Santa Claus. Merry Christmas.

No comments:


Liberals got women the right to vote.

Liberals got African-Americans the right to vote.

Liberals created Social Security and lifted millions of elderly people out of poverty.

Liberals ended segregation.

Liberals passed the Civil Rights Act and the Voting Rights Act.

Liberals created Medicare.

Liberals passed the Clean Air Act and the Clean Water Act.

What did the ignorant conservatives do?

They opposed them on every one of those things.

Every damn one!

So when you try to hurl that label at my feet, 'Liberal,' as if it were something to be ashamed of, something dirty, something to run away from, it won't work because I will pick up that label and I will wear it as a badge of honor.